WHEN OPERATING YOUR GAS FIREPLACE
Always supervise children, the aged, infirm or pets near an operating gas fireplace, stove or insert, or one that has recently been turned off.
Keep the remote control (if applicable) out of the reach of children.
Install a switch lock, if possible to prevent children from turning on the unit.
Make sure family members and guests are aware that the glass panel of a gas fireplace, stove or insert can be very hot.
Wait for the appliance and glass panel to cool down before allowing anyone to get near it. Cool down can take a long time, an hour or more. Some appliances turn on and off automatically with a thermostat, so you may not know when the fire turned off. Always consider the glass as potentially hot.
Be aware that metal surfaces, such as doorframes and grilles, and to some extent surrounding tile may also get hot.
Always read the owner’s manual and follow all operating instructions.
SAFETY MANDATE FOR NEW GLASS FRONT FIREPLACES
All gas-fired, certified fireplaces manufactured after January 1, 2015 will include a safety screen that must be installed.
Rigorous testing has ensured that these safety screens are effective in preventing serious, irreversible burns.